Friday, September 28, 2012

September 28th- My first day home without my girls!

I was finally discharged yesterday! Half my problems aren't fixed, but on the mend hopefully. The cellulitis has gone down tremendously! 2 antibiotics later! Unfortunately I have quite a few antibiotic allergies so the first one they were giving me wasn't strong enough and they added a second. All the nurses and doctors kept asking if it felt better, it looks better, so your tummy must just feel so much better! Haha nope! Part of the cellulitis included not feeling anything since the area was so swollen it was just kind of numb. Now that the swelling has gone down I have feeling and the feeling hurts! We never really figured out what was causing the shaking. It was definitely not seizures so that was reassuring. The best guess my doctor gave me was there is a sleeping disorder that when you wake up you are kind of paralyzed for awhile and with the lack of sleep and all the stress it might be a version of that. The swelling all over has started going down finally, but still worse on my left side. My blood pressure is still out of control which is getting scary. I'm maxed out now on my blood pressure medication and it is still running on the high end. So far my bottom number is still in a healthy range so they don't want to mess with it too much more. I will be seeing my regular doctor quite a bit again for awhile, but at least this time I get to see her instead of some whack job! The doctor at the hospital is convinced once the swelling really goes down and everything my blood pressure will drop back down and I will be lowering the dose on the medication drastically in the next week or two. Man I hope so! I have such a pile of medication I take all day, its ridiculous and I've never taken medication on a daily basis in my life! Well birth control, but no lie I was bad about it and lucky we didn't have these twins a long time ago!

That's me, now the latest on my little girls! I finally got to hold Isabell yesterday! I thought holding Anabell was scary because she is so small, Isabell is a whole new world with how tiny she is! But she was so sweet! It was also the first time we got to see her open her eyes! It totally made my day! I did have a traumatic moment because the cpap has water in it so it doesn't dry her out and it backed up just a tiny bit and I watched her get a nose full of water, she sneezed like 5 times and then turned purple! Thank God for all the machines she is hooked up to so I was able to see just how bad it was getting, but I never want to see that again! It took all I had not to burst into tears! Horrible! But she calmed down and was just fine within a minute or two and I got to hold her for awhile afterwards and know she was just fine. It's crazy she is just so quiet and sweet and totally opposite of her sister! When you look at them in the incubators Isabell looks like the needy one because she is always all snuggled up and Anabell is always all sprawled out relaxed as can be, not a care in the world... but then you hold them and Anabell screams and cries uncontrollably for 20 minutes when you put her down and Isabell was just like "eh, no biggy, later mom!" Even yesterday while I was holding Isabell Jim held Anabell and Anabell was keeping her temp so we got to hold her a long time! Jim held her for a good 2 hours then I held her for almost an hour and she still was mad as can be about having to go back! It was great to be able to hold both my girls though, very precious! Anabell gets to wear clothes now! They are working on her maintaining her body temp, but its so cute seeing her in these tiny tiny clothes! We really don't have anything preemie bought yet so I can't wait to go shopping! The NICU has clothes they can wear but we can bring some in if we want to. They put the girls names on them but they can't guarantee they won't get lost so we have to be prepared for that part. Which I'm totally fine with! In reality once the girls have outgrown any preemie clothes we buy odds are I will just donate them to the NICU anyways. That hospital has done so much for us I would do anything for them! I'm such a believer in paying it forward, it just gets tricky figuring out the best ways to do that and donating some clothes is nothing! Isabell is obviously doing well since we get to hold her, but she is still on the cpap and is having problems digesting her food. We are still waiting on her first real bowel movement. She had a little spot earlier in the week but they gave her a suppository and they don't want to continue doing that and make her rely on them. As for the cpap I want to be concerned but I really can't get to worked up about it. I know she can do it, they take her off for a minute or whatever to clean things and when I held her they had to disconnect it to get her in and out of the incubator and she did JUST fine! I think she is just being stubborn. She will get there when she gets there and not a minute before she decides she is there!

As for going home... When I was told I was getting discharged it took all I had not to burst into tears! After living in that hospital for 2 months it really becomes home! It helped and made it worse at the same time that I had one of my favorite nurses yesterday! I did take a shower before leaving and cried the whole time! My nurse gave me a huge hug when I left! I'm going to miss her and a couple of the others so much! I'm trying to figure out a way to say a special thanks to my favorite nurses, but I had a couple regulars that weren't my favorite but I don't want to be rude to them and want to thank them as well. Its tricky! If any of my nurse friends have any ideas let me know! Otherwise I'm going to try and catch the social worker for the antepartum unit when I'm visiting the girls one of these times and see if she has any recommendations. Tricky part there is she falls under those people I want to give a special thanks to also! Oh well we will figure something out! I already see Christmas and the girls birthday cards for the next 18 years!! After leaving we went out to lunch at this Perkins like a block away and I was thinking how cute and quaint it was because it was kind of hidden and really small til we were leaving and Jim seen a cockroach!!! Icky icky ick! NEVER again! Then went to see the girls and their Grandpa Tony got to see them for the first time! He has had the flu since we delivered and didn't get to see them until yesterday! Pretty exciting! I was exhausted by time we finally left for home! As soon as we got to the car we realized we forgot the bottles the NICU gives us for breastpumping but we were too tired to go back up and get them and decided Target would be quicker. Well at Target we decided it was cheaper and probably better to get the bags since I've been pumping so much and those bottles can take up a lot of room. Great idea til we got home and realized how big a pain in the butt that was going to be! I told Jim I don't know how I will switch the bags if I fill them up when he isn't there and sure enough this morning I spilled at least a good 3 ounces all over myself! Between that and missing the hospital and being so close to the girls I had a good 2 hour cry this morning! It wouldn't be as bad but apparently you can't drive for awhile after having a c section so I have to rely on everyone else to bring me to my girls or anywhere and I just can't ask people to do that! Today worked out because my sister was on vacation and then got sick herself so she hasn't met the girls yet and I was able to twist her arm really hard to take me today! Haha, there wasn't much twisting going on, she is ecstatic! Not sure what I'm going to do next week though, so if anyone wants to meet the girls and I happen to be on your way let me know!! They are so precious and we are so proud of them we can't wait for everyone to meet them in general! We would totally do some Lion King/Simba/lift into the sunset action if we could bring them home and there were any good "Pride Rocks" around! Man, I can't wait to have an excuse for seeing every Disney movie ever made and loving them! We already decided the girls first Disney movie is going to be Cinderella because it comes out on DVD next week and it was one of my favorites! The trick is do I buy 1, 2 or 3 of them? Do they each need their own copy since there is 2 of them? Do I just need 1 copy because they will likely watch it together? Or do I need 3 so we each have one because when they grow up if they take it I will probably be just as sad to see it leave as they would be to leave it? So many questions you don't ask yourself until you have twins!

Anyways, I really don't want to dump more milk on  myself so the more often I pump today the less likely I will have to switch bags in the middle and dump it! Plus my pile of morning meds mixed with lack of sleep is kind of making me sick and I could use a little nap or something so I'm not puking everywhere. So hope everyone has a good weekend! God bless!

Love- Heather, Jim, Anabell and Isabell

Just a special word... It was just a couple weeks ago I was posting about re-teaching myself how to crochet after my great aunt Emma taught me when I was like 7. I'm  devastated to say she actually passed away yesterday afternoon. That really didn't help coming home and being sad. It has definitely been an emotional couple days and my thoughts and prayers are with her children and grandchildren and great grandchildren that I know she treasured with all her heart. She was such a wonderful woman with so many talents and loved by so many people! You know there is truth in that when a little old lady from Kansas can warm the heart of a bratty little girl who just became a mother a couple states away! If anyone is wondering why with the recent birth of my daughters my Facebook picture would be of anything else, that is why. I have a couple pictures from our last trip to Kansas but that is from the trip before on my great aunt and uncles 60th wedding anniversary. In this day and age that says so much that 60 years was even possible. Definitely someone to admire and follow their example! Another friend of mine posted this yesterday and made me think of my cousins missing their mom today...
"Mothers never really die,
They just keep house up in the sky,
They polish the sun by day
And light the stars that shine at night,
Keep the moonbeams silvery bright
And in the heavenly home above
They wait to welcome those they love."



No comments:

Post a Comment